Thursday, February 05, 2004



A comment on "Miracle" and some real thought to take away from it.

http://tinyurl.com/2xvul
(Yes, everyone should use tinyurl, keeps it neat. It's great in emails)
Um: Use Warning: Must credit Sacramento Bee - per the artical in the link.

Marcos Brenton wrote this artical with the Scripps Howard News Service (shns.com). What I like the most about it, is the realization of how sports has changed since then. The bringing in of professionals in the Olympics. I have always hatted that. Yah, sure the olympics want to make money to by having all these big names playing in there games, but it distroys it for all the rest. The ones that will never get their shot because they just can't get into the Pro's. Get them on a team with 30 other hungry teammates and just watch what they can do. Well we did, back in 1980 in Lake Placid, NY.

I decided to write Marcos, to tell him how much I appreciated his article and something else:

--------------------------------
Dear Marcos,

I would like to start off by telling you how much I enjoyed reading
your article, "'Miracle' moment won't be repeated". We truly have
lost in sports. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see the movie,
but it's on the list. I have a two year old, the list doesn't shrink
to often.

With all the pros in the Olympics now, how plastic it all seems. I
couldn't stop thinking of one thing while reading your article, "It
seemed everyone was watching curling during the last Winter
Olympics." Everyone was talking about it. I cannot ever remember so
much talk about the sport. I know it is huge in Canada, but not
Chicago. Perhaps since we see our 'stars' every day on TV that we
looked to something else in the Olympics. Something more unique, not
the same sports with the same players, just in a different venue.
Really, who wants to see a bunch of North American NHL players
demolish Bolivia?

Thank you for the words,

Brett Slaski
Rolling Meadows, IL
---------------------------

Yes curling. I recall destincly looking forward to curling. I'd hear talk about it on the train. More talk about it on TV.

I truly believe, that with the pros in the Olympics, it is destroying the heart and soul of the Olympic Games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home