Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Digicam HELL

So it's time for a new camera. For the most part the family has been an analog camera user, and very happy with the results. I have used some cheap digital cameras and cameras in phones and well, you know how well they work.

Last Christmas we decided to get a new camera for the family, figured it could be a gift for the both of us, to the both of us. Well it never happened, we never even started the research. I think deep down I wanted an DSLR, and it kept me from looking at anything, because they are just too expensive for us.

This year has been different, and if we don't kill each other first, we should end up with something nice. I started at a local camera shop, Ritz I believe (or is it Wolf:)), and explained I am looking for a compact camera to take pictures of the kids. Also explaining that I HATE the delay in digital cameras where you push the shutter release and the subject is across the room before it releases.

The associate steered me towards the Canon S3 IS, a pretty nice camera overall with a bigger price tag, $399. Okay, that doesn't sound horrible, but put batteries, a usable sd card, and a case with it and now you are over $500. Just too much for this purchase. Of course I also started some research into these cameras and the S3, didn't fair great. One of the big complaints being that the focus time of the camera in low light was excessive, over a second at times! What is this, large delay in taking pictures, didn't I ask for a camera that didn't have this issue, or at least one where it better then most? This camera is also pretty bulky, not a good choice for "Mom" use. I had the feeling it would end up sitting at home more then with us because of this. So I looked on...

Many models where matching well, all with their pluses and minuses:

Canon SD 800 SI, G7
Canon A630 (perhaps even A640 though the samples looked nicer on the A630)
Fuji F30
Kodak
Panasonic
Nikon


All in about the same or less price range [wow, just found a blogger bug with the italic setting] and with some nice packages from Newegg computer. It's just crazy all the options and reviews. This one does this well, but not this. This one is great for this, but sucks at this. Ugh.

I just want a camera to take pictures well. I think I am caught up in all this detail and can no longer see the forest through the trees, or something like that. Damn, I almost want to stay with film!

Well, I have to get something done here at work. I will fret over cameras later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home